The Environmental Agency is the competent authority for enforcing the Waste sections (Part 5A) of the Public Health Act.
These sections transpose Directive 2008/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on Waste (repealing Directives 2006/12/EC on Waste, Directive 91/689/EEC on Hazardous Waste, part of Directive 75/439/EEC on Waste Oil); Directive 2006/66/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 6 September 2006 on batteries and accumulators and waste batteries and accumulators (repealing Directive 91/157/EEC); the PCBs Directive 96/59/EC; the Incineration of Hazardous Waste Directive 94/67/EC, the Waste Oils Directive 75/439/EEC and Regulation (EC) 1013/2006 on transfrontier shipments of Waste.
Our responsibilities include:
- Issuing of Waste Licences and their enforcement or any conditions attached to them
- Inspection of waste operators , waste producers and waste disposal facilities
- Registration of waste collectors and brokers
- Investigation of waste complaints and subsequent follow-ups
- Administration of transfrontier shipment of waste procedures, documentation and consents.
- Formulation of a Waste Management Plan.
- Maintain public register s of waste licences and registrations issued.
- Conducting waste surveys